Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fall's a whirlwind!

It's been over a month since I've posted, but that doesn't mean I've been thoughtless for a whole month. (hehehe) I've been pondering a few things I want to blog about, but this first October entry is something easy - FOOD!
Many of you don't know that Rick taught at a boarding school for twenty-six years, and our family lived on campus. That means that we ate meals in the dining hall for nine months out of the year. I know; pretty sweet, huh? I learned to like things I probably wouldn't have tried if I'd been doing the menu planning (like salmon), but I also learned what a pleasure cooking can be. Now that we live in our own home with me as the chef, I'm finding new and wonderful things to make. At least, they're new for us.
For tonight, I'm preparing a recent find: Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese (modified from the Fix It and Forget It Cookbook)
8 oz. cooked macaroni (I ususally do a wee bit more)
3-4 c. shredded sharp ceddar chesse
1 13 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs (I beat these before adding them)
a pat of butter (about 2 tsp)
1 tsp salt
some fresh ground pepper (to taste)
1/2 tsp ground mustard

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup of cheese in greased slow cooker. (I grab a stick of butter and run it around the sides and bottom to "grease" mine.) Sprinkle reserved cheese on top. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Don't remove lid during cooking!

We'll be enjoying this with grilled Italian sausages, grilled onions and peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment