Friday, October 29, 2010

Bless or Impress?

What motivates us to do what we do? I know for many girls and women, it's the desire to impress someone - parents,teachers,a young man,a spouse,co-workers,other moms,employers, etc. Our desire for approval impacts our decisions, large and small. Even something as simple as what to wear can be a big deal when we're concerned about impressing some one. Does this mean we shouldn't factor in other people at all as we make decisions? I don't think so. As a Christian, I need to remember that I'm called to a life that is God-ward first and foremost, but my expression of love and faith is lived out with other people. My motivation for choosing to clean house, do laundry, dress tastefully, wash my hair, cook tasty and nutritous meals, etc. is based on God's call on my life. In Genesis 12, when God called Abraham, He told him that He would bless him and that Abraham would, in turn, be a blessing to others. So, this idea of "blessed to be a blessing" gives me my framework for decisions. It gives me a focus on both God and others as I make all kinds of decisions each day.

I really don't care whether or not I'm impressive, but I do pray that, in some small way each day, I'll be a blessing. How will you bless those around you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment