Monday, August 9, 2010

Stay-cation

I have a confession to make - I've been struggling with covetousness these past couple of weeks. As I read about the restful vacations to beaches, mountains, and exotic places that many of my friends were enjoying, I found myself wondering (and whining inside!) "When do I get a rest? When do I get to leave this all behind for a while? What about those of us who have to work with no cushion of time or money for a vacation?"
I also want to proclaim that God is good! It wasn't long before He reminded me of His provision of all I need in Christ. "Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you REST." (Matthew 11:28) What a difference a change of perspective can make! Tiredness didn't magically disappear, but gratitude replaced envy, peacefulness replaced agitation. Words from an old hymn have been in my head the past couple of days - "Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blessed; finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest."
So, I encourage you to find your "stay-cation" this month in the comfort and encouragement of God's word.
"Thou will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee." Isaiah 26:3

No comments:

Post a Comment